Sunday, January 4, 2015

the ritual of sickness


We've spent the past few weeks in varying stages of illness, and two days ago, it finally caught up to me. My Friday was spent lying on the couch falling in and out of sleep whenever my children were gloriously occupied by Frozen.
There are obvious downsides to being sick: the fatigue, the insomnia, the body chills, the pain. But there's also a refreshing shift of priority: survival. Your body quits and leaves you no choice but to tend to it. Drink lots of water. Go to bed early. Keep cozy and warm. Go outside for fresh air and sunshine. Befriend humidifiers and vitamins. See food as fuel to fight this infection and as its nutrients: banana = potassium, rolls = much needed energy, V8 Fusion = vitamin C and fluids. Listen to your body. How do you feel? What do you need? Rest. Relax. Cancel unnecessary plans. Give yourself permission to take care of yourself.
If only I would take a sick day when I'm healthy.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I will go eat a banana for my cold. That's what my body needs, but what my mind/heart? is telling me to eat is Ben & Jerry's, but this is Spain and Ben & Jerry's is 7 euros so I will go eat banana and drink mint tea.

    ReplyDelete